View Single Post
Old 10-27-2007, 11:46 PM

Default Re: TT vs. WhoooooohKid

[ QUOTE ]
Raise folding 88 from UTG is completely standard. 88 might be the #%@^ worst or at least one of the worst hands we open raise there. In general it makes sense to fold a reasonable % of the hands you are open raising, usually at least about 33% of them. Sorry Im not quoting anyone in particular, I am just seeing random comments along the way that seem completely ludicrous to me. Am I misreading that he's UTG at a 9 handed table with 21x BB?

IMO if you call with 88 here against a typical player, or even a semi aggressive one, you are almost always making a huge mistake. Even if you fold 88 and their reraising range just so happens to be loose enough so that 88 is a correct call, you are still probably crushing them game theory wise. What kind of player decides to make a move by reraising some UTG raiser in a no ante pot? And as I said, even if he is making a move, if you just call with some normal range like 50-60% of the hands you open raise with, you are going to make their play bad. This of course assumes you aren't opening UTG with 66, JTs etc, which honestly I don't think are good plays at all with 21x BB.

[/ QUOTE ]

So, you are basically advocating mucking 88 utg? I don't mind mucking 88 utg in this spot at all really, but raise folding blows. 88 < JTs utg then since JT flops better am i right? Or will u just go with almost all flops when you are flat called and hope ur not drawing to 2 outs? Maybe I am missing something? Raise folding 88 utg is about as strong as 3 bet folding AQ because you "found out where you were at" once you get 4 bet shoved on. This is an mtt, mtts reward teh gamble, raise/call without any other reads. And honestly, I almost never raise/fold with < 21 bbs - especially in pokerstars higher buy ins. Raise folding with 15-25 bbs (M is obv more accurate but to make things simpler) is basically a strategic error -especially in the 100r where u get reshoved on by lagtards with 89s (I know a ton of lags who resteal on semi-short open raisers wayyy lighter than deeper stacks for obvious reasons).

I hate to disagree with curtains who I know is an expert in sngs, cEV, icm etc. and a great poster but... you're wrong. Raise folding 88 utg with 21 bbs is a strategic leak.