View Single Post
Old 10-27-2007, 08:50 PM

Default Re: EDF Cooking Contest--Pumpkin Challenge

<font color="orange"> Roast Duck with Curry-Pumpkin Gelee and Pumpkin Fries </font>

So, I wanted to do a raost duck. I look in my Professionl Chef book for a how-to. It says to put the duck in the roasting pan breast side up. Then I think: "Hmmm... which side is the breast side?" Needless to say, this was the first time I'd ever roasted a whole bird. It came out a little dry. I think I overcooked it a little. Also, the skin wasn't really as crispy as it's supposed to be. But still, it was pretty good.

The gelee was made by boiling some pumpkin in water with curry powder and cinnamon. Then I pureed it in a blender, returned it to the heat, and added some agar flakes and chopped carica. After a few minutes more, I put it into a ramekin and let it chill and solidify in the fridge. It tasted great, but it looks like barf.

The fries I put in the dehydrator at 150* for an hour, then cooked them in some rendered duck fat. They turned out a little chewier than potato fries, but they tasted good.

The salad is some micro greens and endive. I made a little sauce/glaze/vinagrette kind of thing with pumpkinseed oil, balsamic vinegar, honey, s &amp; p. And I sprinkled on some pumpkin seeds for a little crunch.