View Single Post
Old 10-27-2007, 06:18 PM

Default Re: Sunday Outage - Refused Refund from Bodog

I was screwed by Bodog a few weeks ago. I was disconnected from a Sit and go due to a local internet outage. My connection came back up a few minutes later and I was able to take my seat back at the table. The "autofold" option was not checked - (I may have unchecked I don't remember), however, my hands were instantly folded! This happened for 4 or 5 hands - I had good hands. At this time, there was nothing wrong with my internet connection, as browsing worked, and I was able to watch the table! I logged out of Bodog and re-logged in. Then, I was able to take me seat and the hands were not auto folded. Unfortunately, I had missed too many opportunities, and I busted out, out of the money.

I wrote an email complaint, requesting a refund. Bodog customer service replied:

Dear Name,

Thank you for contacting Bodog Poker Customer Service.

We understand your concern that the issues may be originating from our end; however, when one player is disconnected, yet the game continues on with all other clients still playing, the problem obviously originates from, and is isolated to, that one player. If it were an issue with our servers, all players would be affected. In that case, we would take full responsibility and refund all buy-ins.

Between your computer and our servers, our messages go through several hops/routers (often in the dozens, all over the world). If at any of these stops there is a technical issue or a spike, this can cause a disconnection with the game server. Thus, the software will recognize you as being disconnected from the tournament and will automatically fold you until your return.

Lags and disconnections are a frustrating but unavoidable part of online gaming. For the most part, these issues do not originate on either end of the connection, but somewhere in between. When you connect to an online site, your connection will go though a number of servers, all across the country. If any one of these servers has a technical issue, you will feel it on your end. The best thing to do when this happens is log off and back into the software to establish a new route to the site. If you are still experiencing problems, try restarting your computer as this will usually solve any system-based issue.

Thank you very much for writing. Should you have any questions, or require any further assistance, please don't hesitate to contact us.

Regards,

Poker Customer Service

The email served a purpose, as I now realize that If an internet outage takes me away from a table, I need to close and re-open the software when my connection has been established. However, I should have received a refund. Not issuing me a refund, as the there is a bug in their software, (auto folding players after they return from an outage) was really ******* scummy behavior.

Bodog is generally regarded as honest with good customer service, however, I in this instance, I was clearly screwed by them. We all make decisions on where to play based upon peer reviews. Perhaps this post will help influence decisions.