View Single Post
Old 10-27-2007, 01:24 PM

Default Re: Bankroll for shortstacking?

[ QUOTE ]
I haven`t read Slotboom`s book and I have no statistics to show but I have a general impression of Slotboom`s play.

About 5 years ago I was playing LHE and PLO off and on in Amsterdam for a period of few years.
At that time there was 1 single PLO table available.
It was 20/40 with min buy-in of 500.
Marcel Luske and Rolf Slotboom were PLO regulars and although I`ve only played PLO against Marcel few times and never against Rolf I used to watch them both play a lot.

Marcel was usually buying in for 5k which it probably was max and I must say this was the time when Marcel became my poker hero.
The way he was dominating and crushing the game was a pleasure to watch.
Always deep stacked and always in command of everything.

Rolf on the other hand would buy-in for 500 and do his short stack thing.
He looked like a nice guy, thinking player that knows what he`s doing and I do have respect for him but I seriously never saw him win a lot of cash.
When I think Rolf Slotboom only 1 image comes to mind.
Him sitting at a 20/40 PLO table in Amsterdam with chips worth 500 euro stacked in a shape of some kind of small tower with a pack of tic-tac on top of it, folding most of the time and the "tower" never getting any bigger.

I`m aware that my "watching" sample is insignificant and I`m sure that he was wining money doing his thing but I wanted to share this lil story never-the-less.

[/ QUOTE ]

You should go to a book store and read the first two chapters of Slotbloom's book. In these chapters, he discusses his PLO experience in Amsterdam and Vienna. Actually, don't... I don't want too many people using this strategy.

Assuming Slotbloom isn't lieing, he claims to have been one of the big winners in the PLO games simply because no one properly defended against shortstacking (which is not easy to do). Later, he made adjustments to his game to attack fish with big stacks.

If you limp and an aggressive (this is key) player raises, there are a couple callers, then you shove with AAXX/KKXX/AKQJ/etc... it is totally +EV. I don't think that a lot of players out there know how to shortstack properly.