View Single Post
Old 10-27-2007, 11:29 AM

Default Re: Universal Healthcare? Can it work? I\'m doubtful...

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
This part is just so pathetic I cant even bear to read the rest.

"Social Security - I can't believe anyone would tout social security as a success story. Without significant reform, this entire system will be completely insolvent and stop functioning within our lifetime. <font color="red"> Actually the
"reforms" needed are quite minor, and are responses primarily to increases in longevity beyond those that ever could have been anticipated. Since when does a government program have to be static and predict everything that will happen in the future to be succesful? If business were held to that standard we'd still be riding horses. </font> Not only that, but social security offers PATHETIC returns as a retirement plan for most people based on what they put into the system. <font color="red"> What do you consider pathetic? If 6-7% return (a married worker with a non-working spouseI is pathetic, you beat it.</font> It's simply a redistribution of wealth. <font color="red">Yes its a minor redistribution of wealth. Do you even know in which direction? </font> A poor one at that."

[/ QUOTE ]

What about the part where they take the money that we pay into it and use it as a petty cash drawer for all the extra spending we decide to do instead of, well, you know, doing what they are supposed to do with it which is invest it so that it remains solvent and provides a return?

Is that part pathetic?

[/ QUOTE ]

since thats not what "they" do, it is an irrelevant question