View Single Post
Old 10-27-2007, 11:10 AM

Default Re: Universal Healthcare? Can it work? I\'m doubtful...

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

What about the part where they take the money that we pay into it and use it as a petty cash drawer for all the extra spending we decide to do instead of, well, you know, doing what they are supposed to do with it which is invest it so that it remains solvent and provides a return?

Is that part pathetic?

[/ QUOTE ]

I like where you're going with this, but we have to take a more functional view. Essentially what they're doing is borrowing from social security to do more discretionary spending today. Which, in my view at least, is fine provided that the spending will have a good ROI in the long term and we can replenish social security. Things like education, health care, infrastructure and environmental protection are things this money should be going toward.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why should SS money be going to anything but SS? Last time I checked I pay a hell of lot more in taxes than just SS tax. THAT money should be going to things like education, health care, infrastructure, etc.

To be clear, I wish the federal govt had no control over any of those things but that seems a long shot at this point.