View Single Post
Old 10-27-2007, 11:02 AM

Default Re: Battling Procrastination

[ QUOTE ]
I've gotten this many times. The only thing that has ever worked for me is to get more goals or take the ones I have more seriously. Theorizing about why not wasting my time is good just leads to nothing for me. I'm kind of obsessive and function well under pressure and can feel scattered without it. The cure for a lot of my ills has always been to get obsessed about something positive.

[/ QUOTE ]

I always find myself in the same boat. I let all sorts of little things (and sometimes big things) accumulate then all of a sudden it feels like I have a gun to my head.

However, I've grown to recognize that on some level I LIKE HAVING THE GUN TO MY HEAD. When I am under pressure my work (attorney) is much better (maybe not on a technical level, but on an intellectual level) and I really feel great as a finish tasks.

About once a week I will just get out of bed and just charge to my computer before I can think of anything else to do. Sometimes it will be as early as 4:00 a.m. (Coffee machine not set to go off until 5:30.) Once I get started, its almost like being manic; there is nothing like doing three days of work before noon. (I helps that I work from home.)

Anyhow, I do recognize that this method is very flawed. As the junk accumulates, it seems to creep into my mind and then I become a virtual prisoner to the junk pile. For example, if there is an accumulation, I might cancel a walk or a trip to the gym on the guise that "I have work to do." Unfortunately, unless the work includes critical deadlines, I usually end up playing four hours of internet poker and getting absolutely nothing done. Thus the cycle continues.

Yes. I know what I do is not healthy and that I would be better off working "normal" hours. But, I guess I am not normal in that respect.

I suppose I am no longer an amateur crastinator. I am, in fact, a procrastinator.