View Single Post
Old 10-27-2007, 01:49 AM

Default Re: The state of Notre Dame football.

Tom, Bernie, Shemp, MT2R, et al,

I don't think our opinions on the state of the ND program are THAT far off from one another...I mainly think the differences are more sharply contrasted by the fact that I really really like Notre Dame and most of you really really don't. So, I'd like to make a couple general statements about the program that hopefully we can reach a consensus on:

1) Weis was moderately successful in his first two years, achieving the first back to back 9+ win seasons since '92-'93. While lacking a "signature win," Weis regularly defeated average teams that had given the Irish problems under previous coaching regimes (MSU in '05 notwithstanding). In short, he beat the teams he was supposed to beat...this was a huge sigh of relief for anyone that endured the Bob Davie/Ty Willingham era. Based on his performance in '05-'06, Charlie Weis is a capable head coach when leading a veteran team.

2) Weis has done an atrocious job this year of incorporating young talent into the starting lineup, and his focus on schemes vs. football fundamentals of running/passing/blocking/tackling has led to disasterous results on the football field. There might be some explanations for the team's performance (inexperience and tough schedule) but no excuse for how poorly the team has played. Weis, even with said explanations, is solidly responsible for the product on the field.

3) Weis is actively rectifying any talent deficiencies through hard and very productive work on the recruiting trail. When his third top ten class is wrapped up (likely the best in the nation), next year he'll have all of the talent and experience he needs to field a competitive Irish squad. If he fails, count on most Domers to politely request his resignation.

Is this analysis fair enough?