View Single Post
Old 10-26-2007, 11:35 PM

Default Re: Couples with differing views on religion

[ QUOTE ]
The problem here is that you are automatically equating those who have some belief in religion with fundamentalist Christians who base everything on a literal interpretation of some book. There's a huge realm in between where most people who believe in religion fit in. Trust me, my beliefs have no impact on my complete faith in evolution, the scientific method and any other thing that you would call "rational." A strict athiest who equates religion with mental retardation (OP) is just as rigid in their "non-belief" as a fundamentalist Christian who believes that the world was created in 6 days.

[/ QUOTE ]

The difference, and I'm not trying to be argumentative, is that with atheism there is no "belief". Belief is the problem.

It's not an issue of being close minded. but quite simply someone who states they are Greek Orthodox Christian, or Christian is stating in no uncertain terms that they believe people come back from the dead, in at least in one case. And I seem to have solid ground in reality saying that such a belief, and teaching it, is insane.

If you teach your children "I don't know exactly but here is what I think...." that's one thing. Formal religion doesn't do that, there is the implication of knowledge without proof.

This is why atheism comes off as so closed minded to you. As far as "faith" is concerned from an atheist standpoint, there is no difference between an Islam fundamentalist and a modern gay Christian man. Both are stating a positive belief in something that cannot be proven, or supported. Obviously there is a difference in their behavior, but not in the "overall" belief system from an outside point of view.

I'm not trying to derail the thread, I'm trying to explain why religion as a taught behavior is child abuse and that to call it such is not the same as fundamental religious practice.

In ANY other area of discussion you could call someone out and say "Why do you think that? What proof do you have?" But magic has a special stand-off position that anyone calling it out as such is labeled as close minded.