View Single Post
Old 10-26-2007, 09:27 PM

Default Re: Since you all read this at Absolute Poker

With regards to what has become known as "popcorngate" -- I've recently been filled in on a number of the details. While I did not get the information from a confidential source, the person who gave it to me would prefer that his name is not used here. However, he is currently pretty high up in management in AP and is a credible source.

There are a number of issues to address.

First, AP made the donation to "Sunrise Children’s Foundation" via wire transfer to a bank in Las Vegas. Not the best website I've seen, but you can check it out here: http://www.sunrisechildren.org. Also, feel free to verify the info with people there.

Second, the donation was not made until February of 2007. The guy who I spoke with admits that the timeframe for the donation was not ideal considering that the donations were received in July/August-ish of 2006. I'm told that it was largely an administrative screw-up due to a changeover in marketing companies (ie, the people who ran it). Regardless of the explanation, obviously it should have been made sooner.

Third, because Schneids was generous enough to offer to donate his refund to charity, AP is going to match that offer and donate that amount to charity in the near future. This is in addition to the money raised and AP is going to do so regardless of whether Schneids follows through with his offer.

Fourth, AP is going to run a charity tournament of some kind on their site where the rake will be collected and contributed to a charity (not sure if it will be the same one). In addition, AP is going to match the collected rake, effectively doubling the contribution from the community. I assume details will be announced at some point in the near future.