View Single Post
Old 10-26-2007, 05:16 PM

Default Re: Transcending Categories of Thought

PairTheBoard,

You are getting it.

It's not allowed to post blog links, so I'll just c/p the whole entry:

====

Joseph Campbell guide to the galaxy

1 The Hero's Journey (1 hour) - Introduction to the idea of myth as metaphor. Explaining the function, role and importance of myth. Telling of the life of Joseph Campbell himself also, and his own journey of finding these things.

2 The Power of Myth - Themed exploration in the form of questions and answers, with Bill Moyers. The topic is continually approached from the understanding of a layman (that's the position Moyers takes), and then Campbell takes you into the field of deeper experience. He does this by both explaining what it is and how it works, but he also let's you experience it by using the myth itself (telling the story to you).

Chapters (1 hour each, also available in audio):

The hero's adventure

The message of the myth

The first storytellers

Sacrifice and bliss

Love and the Goddess

Masks of eternity

3 Mythos - The pace in this series is much faster. You're not continually taken by the hand, and unless you've seen the previous two mentioned, you'll have a hard time getting much of it. He also introduces his model of the psyche in the first chapter, which can be very insightful. This is all JC by the way (Susan Sarandon does in- and outtros, that's all). And he really engages you into the mystery. If you're ready for it.

Chapters (1 hour each):

Psyche and symbol

The spirit land

On being human

From Goddesses to God

The mystical life

The inward path

The enlightened one

Our eternal selves

The way to illumination

The experience of God

4 Sukhavati (1h20m) - This is like a trip of engagement. There's music all-through, lot's of visuals, and ofcourse Joseph Campbell who lets you ride the mystery by showing you how the rituals work, what the symbols mean and he let's you experience it yourself.

And that's also the order I suggest you take them in. The order of 4 and 3 doesn't really matter, but 1 and then 2 is important.

Another thing I'd like to mention:

There are varying degrees of getting it. I've seen The Hero's Journey about 10 times, Power of Myth about 3 times, Sukhavati 4 times and Mythos 3 times. The function of myth is getting you in touch with something. For example getting you in touch with a different mode of thinking. A different way of seeing the universe and life and a different way of seeing yourself, and also putting you in touch with different experiences. Deep and rich experiences.

So what I get out of it now is much different from what I got out of it the first time I saw them. It now speaks much much deeper to me, and I've been able to take the different ways of thinking in. And that's really really powerful.

Also:

Now that I'm so much more in touch with mystery that's the ground of my own being, the function that mythology has to this and the power that it has, I see the modes of thinking of other people and the function that mythology takes in their life (I'm talking about primitive modes of thinking and of corrosive mythologies) much more clearly now.