View Single Post
Old 10-26-2007, 12:39 PM

Default Re: Have you had your wisdom teeth out yet?

When I got mine out they gave me an injection of something. I was awake the whole time but higher than a kite. It was awesome.

They told me not to blow my nose for a week otherwise I could possibly blow my sinuses out through the holes in my mouth and would need to come back to have it fixed.

A few days later I got dry sockets (basically the blood clots came out) on both the bottom ones. That was excruciating. I had to go back to the guy every couple days and have him stuff this medicated gauze into the holes which would numb the pain. No amount tylenol/ibuprofin would work.

Due to having the dry sockets, the blood clots were never there to reform bone and fill in the holes. So I had these large "pockets" behind my rear molars. Years later, my dentist said I should get that taken care of so I had to go to a periodontist and have bone grafts done on both sides of my jaw. He basically flayed open my gums from the back going about 4 teeth forward. Then he ground away on the exposed bone and gathered up enough "bone material" to mix with this protein stuff then inject it into the holes. Then he stitched the gums so I had these stitches between each of my teeth hold my gums together. I had to have this done on both sides of my jaw (separate surgeries). Neither of the surgeries worked (bone did not regrow) and I still have the pockets there.

So good luck with your wisdom teeth OP.