View Single Post
Old 10-26-2007, 12:02 PM

Default The Pre Flop Raise

I have a theory question about the Pre Flop Raise.

In the game of NLHE is there really any math or logic that dictates the 3 bet or pot size PF raise that the majority of players use?

Is it really wrong to min raise or is it just style?

---------------------------------
Now that I have asked my question I'll state what I have been doing and why I have this question.

IN online tournaments I have been experimenting with min raising only PF. I have been a little shocked by the results.

First thing I noticed is that min raising doesnt seem to encourage poeple to call as one would think. I am getting about the same action to the flop as I do when I 3 bet. The BB is folding surprisingly often. The action I do get is the kind I want. Loose calls a small leaks before they get away. Or I get re-popped by something who thinks my min raise is weakness (I havent changed my conservative hand requirements so it rarely is)

Next I notice that I am not being put all-in (and having to fold) post flop after I bet as much as I was before. I am going to showdown with the best hand more often without having to commit all my chips. Play on every street is a little more chess like. The pot size is waaay easier to controll.

When I run into one of the player types who is a bet-pot PF and every street evey hand they play I am getting away cheap or breaking them.

I am getting to see and play waaay more flops than I was when I was 3 betting.

Lastly I am cashing waaay more frequently.

In summery, is it wrong to min raise and small ball every hand? Should I go back to the 3 bet/betpot/all-in game everyone else is playing? People in the games have been calling me a min raising donk. Ha-Ha [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Hard to care when it seems to be working so well for me.