View Single Post
Old 10-26-2007, 11:51 AM

Default Re: Couples with differing views on religion

I am about to be a father myself, and being an atheist I have been thinking on the topic of religion. My wife is confused in her religion I think, she doesn't go to church or anything and is more or less an atheist/agnostic, but when asked she reverts to what she was raised with.

We are not sending our child to church. Admittedly neither of us go, but if my wife did I still would not want my child to go to church. Like many of the above posters I think that indoctrinating the young into any religion is pretty clearly brainwashing. I want my child to grow up with Values and Morals because they are the right thing to have/do, not because some Invisible Nanny is always watching her.

Once she gets older, and her friends start inviting her to church and stuff, I don't plan to object, and I will encourage her to go to several different faith's places of worship, and she can decide for herself. But the point is that she needs to be at a point where she can make that decision on her own, and not because she is being told something is the truth by an Authority figure on a regular basis.

Children are impressionable, and what they are taught young sticks with them. I would prefer that religion not be something that just "sticks" with my daughter. It should be something she finds on her own, even if she finds there is nothing out there like I did.
C-Dog