View Single Post
Old 10-26-2007, 11:34 AM

Default Re: Couples with differing views on religion

[ QUOTE ]
My girlfriend and I disagree on pretty much everything religion-related, and we're also both very stubborn. This obviously wouldn't be a big deal if it were just a casual dating thing, but we've been together for a few years and there's talk of making the ultimate sacrifice. FWIW, I'm in the "religion is retarded" camp (agnostic/atheist), and she's Greek Orthodox. While she doesn't practice, she still believes in God and wants her children to be churchgoers. This seems like it could be trouble down the road.

Blind faith makes absolutely zero sense to me. It's not a matter of "not being open" (as has been suggested), it's just not how I'm wired. I need to see things for myself.

I'm sure this is a fairly common situation, but I'd still like to hear any insight anyone has.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you have the kind of relationship where you can make fun of her for her religion and she can make fun of you because you're going to burn in hell then I think this can be made to work. If she gets seriously angry about the subject when you discuss it and has the attitude that you have to share her beliefs to be with you in the long run then it probably can't. Personality is much more important than beliefs in the long run imo.