View Single Post
Old 10-26-2007, 11:27 AM

Default Re: Couples with differing views on religion

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Also, WRT your comment about atheists being close minded. Well, I would agree with that. I am also close minded on a slew of other things such as basic mathematics(2+2=4) and things of that nature.

[/ QUOTE ]

I wasn't implying that all aetheists are close-minded. The point I was making about close-mindedness was more about aetheists (often ones who consider themselves liberal and accepting) who ridicule and do not respect the beliefs of god-fearing folk, not aetheists in general.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't get this. Would it be acceptable to you to ridicule and not respect the beliefs of those who believe in the great invisible cheese monster who lives in the depths of the universe? Or those who believe that televisions are inhabited by miniature people who disappear when you open it to make repairs? Does the fact that an irrational belief is shared by many people make it more worthy of respect?

P.S. I am referring to intelligent, educated people. If someone has simply been brought up believing in some religion and has never had the opportunity or means to question it I don't think they are worthy of ridicule.