View Single Post
Old 10-26-2007, 07:52 AM

Default Re: Couples with differing views on religion

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

I think indoctrinating children into organized Christianity does a great deal more harm than good

[/ QUOTE ]

haven't read the rest of the thread yet, but I have to applaud this.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd like to hear some peoples experiences or thoughts on how it has harmed children or their lives.

[/ QUOTE ]

I definitely got a lot of [censored] at school from the kids and the teachers when they found out I didn't believe in god. My school was public but they happened to love to incorporate religion in inappropriate places, so whenever I said anything it turned into the rest of my school thinking I hated them, so I got shunned a lot by the kids and the faculty gave me a ton of [censored].

Not to mention my mom and dad were divorced at a young age, and my mom didn't take me to church but my dad did everytime I was over at his place on a sunday, and it was probably the most hellish time of the week for me simply because he knew how much we despised it and it occurred for about 10 years.

Here's an interesting story. I was going to sunday school in a small church, so basically about 10 kids of various ages in a circle discussing the bible, etc. They had these pamphlets with games to fill out every week, and this particular week's had a blank space on it with instructions telling us to 'draw jesus with his disciples,' and I think that lifetilted little gobbo because I added in 'with a gun' and drew jesus blasting away someone.

That started quite a clusterfuck between the church and my parents, and honestly I was too young to remember what happens, all I remember is that my dad was REALLY mad and my mom defended me of sorts. Honestly if my mom would chime in that would be good because I don't remember the aftermath but the summation of the story is that religion is [censored] up, but make sure you support their beliefs 100%.