View Single Post
Old 10-26-2007, 02:54 AM

Default Re: Memorizing mucked upcards in Stud

[ QUOTE ]
Here are some situations:

1. I am playing in a middle/high limit live Stud game. Unfortunately, I have a horrible memory and cannot memorize any of the mucked upcards. However, my opponents can memorize all mucked upcards with 100% clarity. How big of a disadvantage is that for me?

2. What if I am the only one able to see all the mucked upcards with 100% clarity and nobody else can?

3. Are there Stud cash games where it is unnecessary to memorize these folded cards to have an edge against your opponents? Or is memorization mandatory?

[/ QUOTE ]

Having the ability to remember the upcards is just another piece of the puzzle that adds to your overall edge(if you ever had one to begin with). Of course, having an ability and not having the knowledge as to how it sholud be applied, is not going to do you much good.

If a player has an uncanny ability in remembering all of the upcards, but he fails in just about all of the other areas(hand reading skills, the understanding and application of pot odds, tilts easily etc.), then his ability in memorizing the upcards probably won't be as useful to him as it obviously would be to someone who did possess alot of the traits that defines being a solid poker player.

Not having a good memory of the upcards is definitely putting you at a disadvantage. That's not to say that you couldn't be a winning player or that you might even be the best player in the game despite of it all. But, if you did possess that ability and put it into use along with all of your other ones, then I'm sure your overall expectations would/should be higher.