View Single Post
Old 10-25-2007, 09:24 PM

Default Re: Jim Rogers Buying the Yuan

mainly I look at Gold, Oil, Copper, 2yr/10yr/30yr bond prices/yields/spreads, CAC/FTSE/DAX/Nikkei/SP500, XAU, XOI. These are my major intraday indicators. Minor things I look at intraday are the BKX, SOX, CMR, DJB, DJU,GSC. Daily I look at all the domestic economic indicators, foreign rates, foreign economic indicators, some news. I've got it pretty organized, so it doesn't take much time.

Everything has a cause and effect and each sector feeds off the others. Commodities are affected by the dollar. If Gold is up, the dollar is down. If the dollar goes down too much, commodities rise (look at gold and the CRB index). If commodities rise too much (inflation), interest rates go up. If interest rates go up, the dollar strengthens. If interest rates go up, bonds go down and stocks go down. If the Fed raises the rates the dollar goes up, gold goes down, commodities go down. And the cycle never ends. You can develop many relationships to observe whatever you want. Everything is related although sometimes there are lags. If one of these markets isn't behaving the way normal relationships say it should be, then watch out, the market is about to throw you a curve.

Gold and gold mining shares should move together, divergences are signals. Same with oil stocks.

Probably the best book to start with is John Murphy's "Intermarket Technical Analysis". It is an awesome read and points out all the major intermarket relationships. Once you get these down, reading the market (no matter which market you trade) gets alot easier. Even if you trade equities, having a working knowledge of the other areas can make trading alot easier. After that, move on to his next book, "intermarket analysis".

I know it sounds like alot of information, but it isn't really. Once you know what to look for in the intermarket relationships, things become clear. You filter out alot of what isn't important.