View Single Post
Old 10-25-2007, 08:56 PM

Default Re: Couples with differing views on religion

[ QUOTE ]
How do you know your children will think the same way.

[/ QUOTE ]
Because ALL children have so much of their courses in life set very early on by modeling after their parents, and it's often a long and difficult process to undo things that were learned wrongly. Why even give them that to deal with?

[ QUOTE ]
This isn't the same thing as allowing them to do something that IS factually wrong / immoral. It is an opinion that you hold that they might actually disagree with.

[/ QUOTE ]
Except that you've basically programmed them from an early age to believe that opinion as the truest truth in life. So, yeah, if they're actually self-aware enough to look past THAT, they may well disagree, but mostly they'll accept it as the way it is, because they learned it so young.

[ QUOTE ]
Maybe you read-over the "strong family" part? Of course there are exceptions to any rule. I'm sure there are atheists out there who raise their children based on terrible morals and beliefs. The ideals of the religion and the ways in which your raise you children must be solid.

[/ QUOTE ]
Okay, but looking at your statement like that, I might as well say, "I don't know anyone raised in a strong family who was told to eat bacon and mayonnaise sandwiches growing up ended up being a bad person because of it." Just start throwing in qualifiers until you get a demographic that proves your point, amirite?

I think indoctrinating children into organized Christianity does a great deal more harm than good, and I wouldn't marry someone who wanted to raise our children in an organized religion. It is that big a deal to me.