View Single Post
Old 10-25-2007, 08:35 PM

Default Re: Damages!

Jennie kicks off the second half with another samba. I'm curious if she can pull this off well. So far, she's done best in the serious dances rather than the fun ones. Oh man, that could have been out of this world if only she smiled. Her technique is really quite good, but she needs to smile and communicate the fun and the energy. With a little more flare and fun, she could have taken the top spot with this one, but as is, Sabrina put on the better show. I think her 25 was fair, but with just a little more performance, she had the technique to give her a 30.

Helio got rumba, and since I've been cheering for him, I'm somewhat saddened by this. I think I'd rather see him do samba. I have to agree with Carrie Ann here that his lines were worse this week. The judges language was harsh, and I don't think they really got at the root of the problem. Helio needed to stretch out his movement more. He needed to make it smoother and more languid. He was rushing through the movements a bit, and in rumba, that's a critical mistake. In my experience, stretching out your movement and taking the full time of each beat to take your step or move your arm or swivel your hips, maybe sometimes even stretching beyond the length of a beat, makes your dance much, much sexier. His shoulders were creeping in a hair, too. I think the 7 Len gave him was robbery, but this wasn't better than a 24.

Mel got samba, and she should be very happy for that. This is just what she needs to crack up the sexiness and excitement and get the votes she need to get the votes. That was the best samba of the night. You see how she came out of the splits? THAT's how you stretch out your movement to be sexy. Max did get punked by wardrobe, but he had a great routine. Hmmm. I think that's a fair score for her. I don't think she was perfect, getting her rhythm and posture off on just a few steps. Was she better than Sabrina? That's the real question. I think so, but she also got the better dance.

Cameron closes out the night, and he gets stuck with rumba. I've been pulling for him to do well, both because of his improvement and to keep Edyta around. Good thing for Cameron that rumba is one of Edyta's strongest dances. Oh [censored]. That was indeed ridiculously sexy. So sexy that I almost wasn't looking at his technique. Almost. Cameron needs to turn out his toes just a little more and close his fingers when he's extending his lines. It's a shame that they got docked for the lift, but them's the rules. This is the dance I'd most like to watch again, even if I have to agree it shouldn't be scored the highest.