View Single Post
Old 10-25-2007, 07:55 PM

Default Re: Damages!

Dancing with Wookie, catching up from 10/22/2007

Samba and rumba tonight. Samba is usually one of the dances that makes the dancers look the best. Rumba is one of the absolute toughest.

Jonny and Marie kick things off with samba, and from the first step, I'm underwhelmed. It was very, very slow, and her rhythm was muddy and dragging. She was imprecise in her foot placement, and her performance was nothing special. She didn't have the exuberant, sexy spark you need for this. I'd already heard that she fainted from this dance, and quite frankly, I'm surprised she did. This didn't look like a dance that required all that much physical exertion. I do feel a little bad piling it on the woman who fainted, but I think her 21 was a little generous.

DQDW got rumba. There are few stars for whom I think rumba would be a good dance, but this might suit Jane better than it does for most people. There really is no reason a woman her age should look as good as she does. I'd say wardrobe was kind to her, but it's all her. Jane's top third and bottom third looked solid. Her arms and her lines are fantastic, and her footwork was looking great. It was her middle third that was lacking. Her hips were far too quiet for this dance. If she got her hips moving a little more, she could ratchet up the sexiness another 3 notches and really give herself a chance at the top spot. I honestly was thinking she'd get a 24-25, but I do have to agree that there were points where she looked like Edyta.

Mark Cuban is up third, and Kym got a great costume. Unfortunately, the didn't have a great dance. Mark desperately needs to turn out his feet. Turning your feet out, rather than dancing pigeon-toed, is critical to getting your hips moving properly and positioning your whole body properly. His frame is shoddy in places, and his lines are weak. I think this was a little weaker than Marie; I'd give him a point or two lower.

Sabrina got rumba, and that should be a good test for her. Samba would be the perfect dance for her, but if she's the real deal, she should be able wow us with rumba. She was good, but this wasn't her best. Like DQDQ, I don't think she had enough hip action, although she was better than DQDW. I guess I feel a little sick of just lavishing praise on her, since she's obviously good. I do feel inclined to root for the up-and-comers rather than someone who's just naturally talented, but there's no denying she's good. I actually think the 28 she got was fair.