View Single Post
Old 10-25-2007, 03:10 PM

Default Re: What about stopping at 3.1 for better sound?

[ QUOTE ]
<font color="blue">My interest in a PC/Home Theater combo mostly has to do with music; I doubt I'd ever be playing/storing video off the PC. I love the iTunes interface and want it in my living room but with top notch sound</font>

have you looked at the apple tv? it sounds like a slam dunk for your interests.

[/ QUOTE ]

Just looked at the link and the review on CNET. The Apple TV seems like a neat device and better for music than for decent high def (or at least DVD level) TV; right now I'm confused/concerned about a few things:

1. I noted that only a 40G and 160G model available. My mostly lossy .mp3's and .m4a's already take up 80gigs. Re-converting about half the existing collection from source CDs to a lossless format (looks like it would have to be Apple Lossless) would increase my storage needs for a completely synced Apple TV to about 200 or 300 gigs. Yet 300 to 500 gig hard drives sold alone are in the sweet spot on price (i.e., you don't save much going smaller). Why doesn't Apple have an AppleTV with a 300 to 500 gig drive?

2. I have no experiences with wireless (e.g., I've hardly even touched a laptop computer) so I guess I would have to add a wireless card to my existing desktop PC. Guess my question is what is the approximate cost of adding wireless to a desktop?

I do like the idea of automatic syncing with what's in iTunes on your PC.

~ Rick