View Single Post
Old 10-25-2007, 02:02 PM

Default Re: EDF Cooking Contest--Pumpkin Challenge

Hey sam. I think I know why your frying didn't work. Did you put them in raw? I Think you have to cook them to soften them up and dry them out, then just use the frying to crisp them. I think the same theory works for fries - recently I have been par boiling them then baking and the texture has been so much better. I guess this is the same theory behind double frying, but I think that this requires frying them on a lower temperature first then on a higher temperature to crisp. I am not patient enough to monitor the temperatures this closely so I just boil then bake. Anyway, I didn't feel like boiling the pumpkin becuase they were sliced so thin, so I baked it part way instead. That being said, I had the same problems that you did, just to a slightly lesser extent I think. Mine were almost soggy and almost burnt.

The fact that yours went from soggy orange to crisp black makes complete sense to me I think. The pumpkin isn't getting the chance to dry out out properly before the burned stage comes. I agree with what Ron said - maybe we should bake them on a low temperature before doing the final frying on high heat? I think this should work....

Did you see Iron Chef this week? One of the guys (the challenger I think) made these really really good looking pumpkin crisps. They were very long, very thin, and really really crispy. They only showed his last frying step though so I'm not sure how he did it. Did anyone else catch this?

Thanks, yours look really great too. Ron, please make chips so you can correct for our mistakes!