Thread: ICM IN MTT'S
View Single Post
Old 10-25-2007, 12:01 PM

Default Re: ICM IN MTT\'S

[ QUOTE ]
i dont use ICM in MTT'S at all i just play to win how many of you use ICM in MTT'S and where do u use it on the FT or on the payout/ft bubble? where is it most important and useful the bubble or FT? is it wrong to just play to win?

[/ QUOTE ]

ICM will matter most on the bubble and in the FT as these are spots where cEV and $EV diverge most. My advice is to play with it and go play like 1,000 STTs. In fact, I think every MTTer should play a few STTs to hone their FT skills. By the context of your question, it sounds like you understand the concept of ICM, but don't know how to apply it.

Different from STTs, it's important to have the "just play to win" attitude in MTTs. But I think you will find a big difference between winning players ($$-wise) and high "make the money" players. Essentially, one will likely have a lower ITM% and a high ROI, and conversely for the other (i.e. 15% itm and x,000% ROI vs 40% itm and 100-200% ROI - assuming winning players of course). To my point, learning ICM and how it relates to bubble and FT will help you actually increase your knowledge of "just play to win."

Writing about this reminds me of a live hand Gigabet played in a tourney bubble where as the biggest stack he decided to challenge the 2nd biggest stack who coincidentally happened to be at his table, and immediately on his left. Villain had raised large from utg (suggesting strong hand), and Giga challenged him from the BB. In the end, Giga was pretty sure 2nd stack folded trips, while I think Giga had air. Lots to think about...