View Single Post
Old 10-24-2007, 11:35 PM

Default Re: 23 yo, My situation - looking for investment help

Barron, can't wait for the walk through guide on creating the highest possible sharpe ratio buy and hold portfolio!

There are so many index investing books out their, with each author suggesting his own asset allocations. While they mention expected return and standard deviation, I rarely see the risk adjusted return mentioned.

I did some tuning to my current portfolio. Got rid of REIT's, switched to some more diverse and deeper value indexes, changes include VV instead of SPY, BRSIX instead of IWC, VEA (lower expense ratio than EFA), GWX (smaller than DLS and more diverse). I've learned to not always look <a href="www.altruistfa.com%2FHaas%2520Expense%2520Ra tio%2520Study%2520working%2520paper.pdf" target="_blank"> the lowest expense ratio</a>, but rather to focus always on the sharpe ratio.

I know I can simply buy the Vanguard Target Retirement 2050 Fund but that's no fun, plus I completely agree with your view on hedging your international currency exposure since not doing so only adds risk without return, and it doesn't seem like these retirement funds do that, nor any of the suggested portfolios I've come across.

And by walk through guide I mean: open an account here, place an order for x% of this ticker symbol, a y% order for this, hedge this % of this currency by doing so and so, if you are young leverage your portfolio by this amount by..., if you are old have this % of bonds... That would be great!

Edit: Noticed you got the portfolio posted in the other thread. If you get a sticky going, would appreciated more details on how to exactly leverage.