View Single Post
Old 10-24-2007, 10:25 PM

Default Re: The old notion of passing up marginal +ev spots in tournaments...

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Read or re-read the Harrington Books, as this is wrong on so many levels. In a large MTT if you are constantly seeking out coinflips early on, your hourly rate is likely to be zero.

[/ QUOTE ]
This is not about a fair coinflip. This is about getting your money in as a 6:5 or 4:3 favorite, either giving you a valuable early double up, or the chance to start another tournament.

[ QUOTE ]
Those chips are not $$$, they are equity in the tournament.

[/ QUOTE ]
Please don't assume that those who disagree are only making this trivial error.

I came to the 2+2 forums because I rediscovered the ICM. I posted some of the earliest hand analyses using the ICM in the STT forum. I have posted several original results about the ICM. Don't say I need to go read about the ICM.

You might normally accumulate chips playing beautiful, socially accepted small-ball poker. This does not imply that you should avoid a great opportunity to get your entire stack in as a significant favorite, while significantly decreasing the expected length of your tournament.

[/ QUOTE ]

I certainly wasn't speaking to you, or telling you to read anything. You can rest assured that none of my posts are directed to you. That being said, once you change the hypothetical to a situation in which we have a "significant" edge I would agree ---its time to put the chips in the middle if we can. But to me, there is a difference between "marginal" and your term "significant."