View Single Post
Old 10-24-2007, 10:13 PM

Default AA - TAG Villain takes weird line

Villain in this hand is BB. I've played with him many times; he's a regular. He's definitely a TAG but he gets out of line postflop sometimes. I've seen him make weird semibluff turn raises against LP's from time to time. Sometimes he'll make too narrow a read and as a result overplay a hand. CO is horrible. Playing somewhere between 40-50% of his hands. Generally a postflop calling station.

Canterbury Park 6/12, full game

Hero is MP with A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

UTG limps, 2 folds, Hero raises, 1 fold, CO calls, 2 folds, BB (villain) calls

Flop (4 players, 8 SB):

3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

Villain bets, UTG folds, Hero raises, CO calls, Villain three bets, Hero four bets, CO calls, Villain calls

I'm putting villain on any PP, including slowplayed big pairs, As9ss, 9xs, or a flush draw with two overs (though with this villain I think the chances are pretty remote) with the range being heavily weighted toward a pocket pair. He could (and I think likely would) play any pocket pair this way on the flop against an aggressive opponent like me. I have also seen him get cute with JJ-AA from the blinds like this before, so that's in my head too.

Turn (3 players, 9.75 BB):

T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

Villain bets, Hero raises, CO folds, Villain calls

I suspect that some might question my turn raise because villain's line looks so strong. In my experience, lots of bad players will lay down non-nut flush draws and straight draws for two cold on the turn even if they are being laid odds. It worked, tee hee hee.

River (2 players, 13.75 BB):

T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

Villain checks, Hero bets...

I think this is a clear bet/call. He's creative enough to try and bluff raise this card, knowing it won't look like a bluff at all and that I hate it. I also think he'll call with any pair.