View Single Post
Old 10-24-2007, 07:50 PM

Default Re: Anarcho Capitalism take 1million

[ QUOTE ]
Don't act like you were innocent and were not trying some cheap emotional appeal by throwing in "13-year-old" and "pedo". It doesn't even pass the giggle test.

[/ QUOTE ]

The original analogy by the other poster was addressing a situation that hasn't occured in 150 years in this country (slave/slaveowner)....I simply replaced the relevant characters with a more relevant example (father/daughter), and one that you see happen fairly often in current events.

You call it an "emotional appeal", I call it a realistic scenario.

So much so...but if we could flip a switch tomorrow and convert the entire world to an AC society, the last thing I'm worried about is being enslaved and whether or not someone is justified in freeing me....and a much more relevant concern just might be whether or not my 13-year old rebellious teenager is grounded for 6 weeks and decides to declare her own independence (moral agency) and some kooks on some company's panel are hired to come in and arbitrate and they find me in violation of her rights...etc.

Under the current state, I don't worry about either slavery nor my ability to parent my minor children. Under ACism, I similarly wouldn't worry much about slavery, but it would bother me a tad to have other folks ultimately deciding whether or not my 13-year old daughter could have her freedom restricted by her father who is acting in her best interests.

I'm not a statist nor an ACist, truth be told, I don't really know what the hell I am....other than I want to be able to do what the hell I want and not have other people interfere with that....and in my specific analogy I think my 'right' to restrict the freedom of my 13-year old daughter isn't ideal, but it sure as hell trumps the 'right' of some guy across town coming in and arbitrating differently.