View Single Post
Old 10-24-2007, 06:18 PM

Default Re: Get your n00b out, uNL--Volume 2

Question 2: I feel that my biggest problem with playing online is that I always feel like if I don't figure out what to do correctly, I'm going to run out of time. It is obviously different on the forums, where you can spend minutes analyzing a hand and figuring out the correct play. There is so much to take into consideration when playing any hand that I always seem to forget something. I kind of equate it to "test anxiety". Has any of the moderators experienced this (or still experience it) and how did you overcome this problem?

<font color="blue">I dont really have any suggestion other than beginning to plan your hand when you raise it and what you want to achieve on certain flop textures </font>

<font color="red">When I first started multi-tabling I was awful at it, and was constantly timing out. Now, I play 6 tables and almost never time out. Two main things helped me:

1. Realise that you have much more time than you think. Most people try and fold their hands as soon as the hole cards appear, and generally try and take every action asap. Just slow your tempo down a little. Count to three before you do anything on a hand. You'll find that you'll rarely time out, even though you've slowed down. Realising that its not nearly as hectic as you think is important.

2. Play simple. Most situations in poker dont require too much analysis. Learn to simpify your choices - this comes with experience. Once you have played many hands you'll know how to react without thinking just because you've been there so many times before.

3. Plan your moves. If you are playing a hand, nothing should come as a surprise for you. Say youre on the flop, and youre betting. Whilst waiting for him to decide what to do, think "if he calls here, I will do X, if he raises, i will do X" etc etc. Think ahead.