View Single Post
Old 10-24-2007, 05:38 PM

Default Re: Why can\'t I believe? (is it a genetic predisposition?)

[ QUOTE ]
I have 2 questions:

Supposing I wanted the ability to believe in a a God but just didn't have it in me to fulfil such a longing; am I a lesser or richer person than somebody who can?

From a biblical point of view the first question might be personality dependent. If you can believe in God and transform your life you will start to receive what the bible calls the fruits of the spirit. There are nine: love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, and self-control. But its personality dependent because it would build on how happy the person was to start with.

Secondly, what are the chances that some people are born with a genetic predisposition rendering them incapable of faith and if such a gene exists; would you wish it upon your children?

I don't know if genetics could/would play a role in the spiritual realm, but if one is seriously motivated in the right way I don't know why he couldn't get faith. I wouldn't wish it on my children because I'd hope they can have a spiritual side to their life and realize the promises that come from the additional spiritual life.

[/ QUOTE ]

You seem to be sort of intellectually interested in the question of whether someone can be born incapable of having faith or believing in God. You should be far more alarmed. Panicked, in fact. It is a monumental problem for you.