View Single Post
Old 10-24-2007, 05:09 PM

Default Re: A very interesting ethics situation and a Bellagio Floor ruling

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
sorry if this has been mentioned already, but how is Player 2 shooting an angle by saying call prematurely?

[/ QUOTE ]

He knows Player 1 is going to be between $100 and $400. He says "call" before all the chips are down, meaning he is going to call whatever Player 1 is going to bet. If he thinks Player 1 is weak, then Player 1 now knows there is no chance Player 2 will fold. He was probably going to bet $400, but if there was any chance he was bluffing, Player 2 gets (on long term average) a cheaper showdown, based on the probability that Player 1 might stop short and only put down $100 or $200.

[/ QUOTE ]

So it ensures that he wins only $100 or $200 when his opponent is bluffing and pays at least $400(possibly more as we see in this story) when his opponent is not bluffing.

Explain to me again how exactly that is beneficial.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you really can't figure it out I'm not going to spend much more time on it. Quick example. You are going to bet. Your opponent wants a cheap showdown, so he starts stacking his chips. This is often a tell that says "don't try to bluff much, I'm calling."