View Single Post
Old 10-24-2007, 04:53 PM

Default Re: Clarifying

[ QUOTE ]
Why are you bringing up weights vs machines when I am asking for a comparison of machines? But as long as you did bring up the subject, what about the fact that free weights don't stress you to the max through the total range of motion while some machines do?

[/ QUOTE ]
David, I think I understand where you're coming from. When you do a rep of squats or bench press, for instance, there is some portion of the lift that is relatively easy, usually the top portion of the lift. To counter this, you can drape chains over the ends of the barbell so that when you lower the weight it gets lighter, and when you raise it it gets heavier. This provides a more uniform amount of effort required to move the bar throughout the entire motion.

Now on to the subject of machines. While the resistance throughout the range of motion of a particular machine exercise may be pretty constant or even get more difficult, it is the actual movements themselves that are far inferior. Machines force you to work in their line of motion, not the body's natural line of motion. They also are often single joint exercises. Leg exercises on machines are also wayyyyyy wayyy inferior. There is nothing better than a barbell squat. PERIOD. You load the bar on your back, and everything underneath that is working to move that weight up. Furthermore, you can't do deadlifts with machines either. Do heavy deadlifts and come back and tell me that free weights don't stress you to the max.