View Single Post
Old 10-24-2007, 04:52 PM

Default Dealing with checkraises; Maybe I should post this in ssnl?

I have been getting my feet wet with some 5/10nl and 10/20nl and I am having trouble dealing with the constant checkraises. When you are playing an agressive opponent who likes to checkraise a lot of flops and is capable of putting pressure on future streets. What do you suggest to combat this? This is very broad so let me try to explain it better....

A lot of msnl players in general, will care about pot control and will not be checkraising enough flops to get annoying. People who seem to consistently own me HU or the players who checkraise the flop an abnormal amount and are able to get me to stack off lighter then I would like.

Like in agressive HU match, my opponent sometimes will checkraise a ton of flops, so I begin checking behind more often. Then he fires 1/4-2/3 on the turn or sometimes will pot it. Then it is almost a great way for him to be the agressor. Then I get into habit of checking to many flops and he is basically taken control of the HU match.

When I 4bet bluff the flop it can just get ugly, since I am now representing a very small range of hands, and he will occasionally have what he is representing or just flat out not believe my bluffy line.

Like in terms of 6max, I think the most profitable move is to fold to the majority of checkraises. Sometimes you feel like your opponents are making more moves then they actually are. Plus, it can become very expensive to call down and be wrong.

While in HU, its obviously very dependant. I am playing higher levels then I use to, where people are very selective and smart with thier checkraising. God this post sucks, but maybe someone will save it with something useful.