View Single Post
Old 10-24-2007, 04:37 PM

Default Re: Universal Healthcare? Can it work? I\'m doubtful...

[ QUOTE ]
Because we can't actively choose what the government does with our money.

We can choose another insurance company if we aren't getting enough bang for our buck.

And again, the private sector redistributes wealth FAR better than the government.

[/ QUOTE ]

The obvious problem is that you won't know that you need a new insurance company until it's too late.

I DO agree that it's a problem that we can't say where our dollars will go. However, it seems easy enough to set up a situation where all health care dollars will go to health care. I'm not advocating that government have an ACTIVE role in health care, simply that they are able to get better deals and reign in the insurance companies via group rates. (Note: It doesn't have to be government doing this. It could be ANY group. Government seems to be the only ones who COULD do it, though.)

And lastly, I'm not interested in distributing wealth. I'm interested in making sure that I can afford health care for a decent price that will ACTUALLY PROVIDE HEALTH CARE, NOT JUST INSURANCE. I consider that possibility under our current system to be almost 0%. I'm willing to listen to ANY idea to make this a reality, government or not.