View Single Post
Old 10-24-2007, 04:21 PM

Default Re: Ann Coulter : \"Jews need to be perfected\", i.e. become Christians

[ QUOTE ]
NO much worse, Judaism, proposes that gentiles (and all women) are born imperfect. The pious Jew, afterall, thanks God in his prayers for not making him a woman or Goy!

[/ QUOTE ]

nice (and typical) that a thread about a Christian woman making offensive comments about Jews has, in the space of one page, deteriorated into a Judaism bashing thread.

Did you just hear this somewhere and write it down, or have you actually looked into this and done a bit of research? The prayer you mentioned is found in very many forms, many with wording that would not (i assume) upset anyone. There are also a number of points that i wont bog this thread down with, that explain what these lines actually mean or are interpreted to mean. It is not necessarily what you think.

As a side note, there is some debate whether this portion was written as a response to a declaration of the Apostle Paul and even (by such thinkers as Schopenhauer) if it was based on an ancient Greek tradition attributed to Plato, Socrates or Thales.

The American Conservative movement (a large strain of Judaism) has even changed the wording to a more "modern" interpretation and their prayer books are printed as such.

In any case, very old prayers were written a very wrong time ago and in many ways reflect the times and cultures within which they were written. Judaism has a well established (though by no means "modern") attitude to women - one that was at odds (and more "advanced") when compared to the major cultures of the time and since.