View Single Post
Old 10-24-2007, 04:16 PM

Default What about stopping at 3.1 for better sound?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Now I need a sound system. I have a pretty small room. I don't enjoy shopping for speakers and am not an audiophile, so very simple is good. Budget is $500 max, preferably less. For ease of setup, I would prefer wireless rear speakers, but for the right system I could put up with speaker wires.

Any recommendations? Thanks in advance.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wireless speakers suck.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have a 7.1 receiver but I've got it hooked up as 5.1 (actually 5.0 since I use an old passive subwoofer hooked into the left/right speakers) using all optical and HDMI interfaces. The speaker wire to the side/rear speakers is of course a bit of a mess but otherwise I'm happy with the hookup which is also used quite often to play CDs.

My friend simply uses his flat screen speakers and the sound is awful. I think his big objection to adding a receiver/speaker setup is the look of the wiring to the side/rears. He has his 58" DLP set up near a large wall on a nice piece of furniture that would easily fit a 3.1 system without a wiring mess.

My question is has anyone simply stopped at a 3.1 system forgoing the full surround sound and been happy with the results?

~ Rick