View Single Post
Old 10-24-2007, 12:56 PM

Default Re: OOT, What is your life situation?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Sportswriter (Medium-sized paper, cover mostly high school sports which I find enjoyable)
Married 4+ years
I'd rate my happiness at about 7.5/10. Things could always be better but I have no real reason to complain.

[/ QUOTE ]

I almost went the sportswriter route, but I thought it would be in the way of a family. Evenings at the HS/college level, traveling if you make it to a national level, I just don't know. Do you find that you have enough time for your job, your family, and your friends?

[/ QUOTE ]

There's no question this job can be hell on your relationships. I'm fortunate for two things:

1. When I met my wife, I was already working evenings/weekends, and from the start she knew the deal. She accepted that when she accepted me. Whatever problems we've had, none of them have been because of my work schedule.

2. We both tend to be fiercely independent people, and we both have lots of individual hobbies we enjoy whenever I'm home/she's at work or vice versa.

As far as friends go, I still had one good one from high school who I play a small poker game with most weekends, and most of my other friends are my co-workers or, believe it or not, coaches. The reason I enjoy high school sports is the (relative) lack of egos involved.