View Single Post
Old 10-24-2007, 12:17 PM

Default Re: Case for South Florida and Virginia over USC, Oregon and Oklahoma?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
There is no case. At all. The computer polls are a complete joke.

[/ QUOTE ]

The computer polls are a joke because of the retard BCS removing margin of victory. Only a drooling mongoloid thinks that how many points you win by is irrelevant to a team's strength. But the BCS thought that Nebraska shouldn't have played in the NC game in 01. So they looked and saw that if they had taken out MOV from teh computers, they would have missed it. So they just did that.

I do agree that a cap on MOV is fine, somewhere between 21 and 35 points. But beating a 1-7 team by 69 shouldn't be as punishing as beating them by 1. Similarly, beating a 7-1 team by 41 shouldn't be rewarded the same as beating them by 1. It's a complete crock and it destroys the best thing the BCS had, impartial computer polls. It blows my mind that they took out one of the most important metrics available.

[/ QUOTE ]

Picture the following situation- you have a championship potential team, up by 10 with 1 minute left and no time outs for either team, and the ball on the 1. Most teams will take a knee here and win the game. If you go for it, you could risk injury of your players. But the margin of victory component means that teams should go for it here. Coaches like Spurrier that love to run it up would benefit and coaches like Tressel that know when they have won and sit on leads would be punished.

If it didn't change the way games were played, its one thing, but it does change the decisions coaches would make and there are negative impacts to the game for that. But I do think it would make the rankings more accurate.