View Single Post
Old 10-24-2007, 04:25 AM

Default Re: 3 betting pre vs. raising the flop

[ QUOTE ]
you did this to me yesterday. The board was much more wet though.

the thing about both plays is that people are going to adjust. Its good to have both moves and use them both regularly.

[/ QUOTE ]

I do it a lot too, but usually on wetter flops that are 'tough to continue on'.

the only problem is in a TAG v TAG situation if someone calls IP pre after i raise in LP I will definately be feeling they are calling to take it away on the flop a lot, but that their range includes less big pairs than a 3bet does. I'm not sure the sets counteract that enough but it would be fairly easy to work out a sensible balance to go for.

It's probably true that most people have less tools in their toolbox to adjust to this though, but offhand cbetting less (yes rly!) and shoving lighter on dryish flops seem good. i'm not sure calling and checking turn is great unless the raiser is likely to fire again light.

in terms of doing this purely as a bluff the risk/reward is slightly better with the call/raise line (invest 2.36 to win 1) than 3betting (3:1), but how it works when you mix in the value of these plays with your whole range is anyones guess.

check out the second cts video if you have CR, he talks about shifting from 3betting light to taking it away on the flop, to floating more as villains adjust.