View Single Post
Old 10-24-2007, 03:22 AM

Default Re: AP Visit: I\'m going to Costa Rica

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I like this thinking. The only suggestion I have to change it is that instead of giving the money to charity, it funds a web page with the details of the this scandal that will be up for as long as the money lasts.

Alternatively, the fee could be used as seed money for a watchdog group of some kind, perhaps in conjunction with the webpage.

[/ QUOTE ]
Talking about a watchdog group, what effect would they have that already hasn't been achieved here? (Besides not having the likes of Nat et. al. doing this for free and on their own time.) And by this I mean what power do we have now, or could gain from such a watchdog? It's clear there was cheating, it's even been admitted, but so what if you can't prosecute? Certainly pressure is being brought to bear on AP, otherwise they wouldn't be offering refunds, but they're not going to go further with this than they feel they have to, and that will likely fall short of what needs to be done.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd have to study this and I'm too tired. The best answer I have right now is that the watchdog could grant or with-hold a seal that the site is trusted. That is, free of money-laundering, cheating, RNG can be trusted, etc....

For the group to have any real teeth, it would have to have access to mail every single player registered at the site about findings. It would have to have an investigative arm and would have to be subscribed to by multiple companies, but not necessarily funded in that way.

I'm sure relationships could be created that would be free of any conflicts of interest. Auditing multiple companies does have a checks and balance approach because everyone would have a mechanism to smear competitors and get business from them.