View Single Post
Old 10-24-2007, 12:10 AM

Default Re: Discuss: How to Bluff a Calling Station

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Loved the article.

The advice mentioned applies very well for DS tournaments, but in SS sngs it can sometimes be needlessly risky to fire multiple barrels. But SS sngs are full of calling stations and I wholeheartedly agree they can and need to be bluffed.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not sure whether SS stands for small stacks or small stakes, but either way, it doesn't sound like the best place to apply this article. Calling stations look for excuses to call, and "pot committed" is one of their favorites, so trying to bluff a guy on a short stack is not advisable.

What you're exploiting here is the calling station's tendency to put himself in bad spots. With certain players, there is a huge gap between the garbage with which they will call a smallish flop bet and the kind of hand they want to have when risking their "tournament lives". That gap is going to be more exaggerated with higher stakes and deeper stacks.

The delayed continuation bet is a useful tool, but I think it's actually better to fire at a non-innocuous turn card. If a station likes his hand enough to call a bet on an 855 flop, a 4 on the turn isn't going to change his mind, but a K might.

I think your delayed bet is working because the c-bet has become such a well-known move that some players now auto-call it on dry flops. Waiting until the turn might show more strength to these guys, but that's the only reason I could see it being more effective. In general, a flop bet is more effective than a turn bet because it leverages the threat of two future streets where bigger bets may be coming. Turn bets are inherently less threatening because your opponent knows that if he calls, only one more bet stands between him and showdown.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yo, Foucault, if you start being more than 75% of the total useful content of 2+2 Magazine, people are liable to be upset.

[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img],

--Nate