View Single Post
Old 10-23-2007, 11:21 PM

Default Re: How good are pitchers compared to the average Joe

Obviously, Darko knows what the hell he is talking about.

I found this point interesting, and very truthful:

[ QUOTE ]
Most big league pitchers were once hitters at one point in their career. What makes them "fail" is that they lose the skill movements necessary to get to the ball b/c they aren't doing it everyday anymore--they are throwing everyday instead.

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't play past high school (side note: I felt I could have played in college, but my HS coach was such a dick that I actually didn't want to play for a year. Once I wanted to play again, I was too involved in other things....but I digress), but actually did have experience with what Darko was talking about.

I was a pitcher, but obviously, as is the case 99% of the time, I hit, as well. I was a good hitter - hit in the .300's freshman year, .500 sophomore year (no power, though). When I was on varsity, the coach did not let pitchers hit. I never even got to take a token batting practice for two years.

Senior year, we had an intrasquad scrimmage and the coach actually let all the pitchers hit for themselves. I batted against one of the harder throwers on the team - mostly just a fastball pitcher, so I knew what was coming. My eye for hitting was still there, but to my horror (ok, maybe horror is an exaggeration), I had absolutely no bat speed. I probably wasn't even done swinging on the first pitch until the ball was back to the pitcher. At that point, I decided to just swing as soon as the pitcher released the ball and hope to adjust my swing for the pitch location. Somehow, I got lucky and hit a high-outside fastball down the right field line for a double.

I finally got one AB in a real game and fortunately, the pitcher threw slowly enough where my bat speed wasn't a problem. I still hit it the opposite way, but hit a nice line drive single. Thus, my varsity BA was 1.000.