View Single Post
Old 10-23-2007, 10:52 PM

Default Re: In the case against religious theism, what is so damning...

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
So many problems...

(1) Though I can't pull scripture out of thin air, I'm fairly certain that Jesus didn't negate the Old Testament.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's called the New Covenant. Look it up.

[/ QUOTE ]

Also- Brad... since you seem to think Splendour is on to something, are you suggesting that the New Covenant is saying everything in the Old Testament is wrong? For instance, if you read the Old Testament and by reading came to the logical conclusion that the earth is 6000 years old, are you suggesting that the New Covenant says this is wrong?

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't read this whole thread, so I really don't know who said what but.........

In the OT, man had sin offerings to God for the attonement of sins. Usually this consisted of sacrificing a cow, goat, sheep, etc. from their herds....usually one of the best of the herd not some old dying, crippled bull or something. This was the Old Covenant. When Christ was crucified, he took the place of the animal sacrifices. You've probably heard the phrase "sacrificial lamb" or "by the blood of the lamb"...that's Jesus....metaphorically stated I guess. This is the New Covenant. That's why we don't observe Passover.

The New Covenant doesn't replace the OT, it replaces the Old Covenant. Christians do not believe that the OT is negated. It's still good. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] But since our faith hinges on Jesus, we tend to spend the bulk of our time in the NT.