View Single Post
Old 10-23-2007, 09:03 PM

Default Re: How good are pitchers compared to the average Joe

Average "good" pitcher in a recreational baseball league (or at least, in mine) throws maybe 70-80 mph fastballs that don't move at all, and either slow looping breaking balls you can see coming a mile away, or else sharp breaking pitches that move maybe 6 inches to a foot.

The best hitters in the league hit maybe .450 against this.

Put them up against 90+ mph fastballs that have 6 inches to a foot of movement, and 80 mph curveballs that have as much movement as those slow loopers, only they break late, and it's going to be such a ridiculously different experience that they won't hit .100. And those are the league all-stars, not the "average" players.

The best pitcher I've seen in my league was an ex-AA pitcher who was now throwing maybe 85 with a pretty nasty slider. Opponents hit .130 off him. The difference between him and a major leaguer is still insane. "Average Athletic Joe" vs. MLB Pitcher = domination, and I'd say probably around a .020 average, with the best amateurs getting just enough hits to make up a little for the large portion of people who literally wouldn't make contact ever. Like me.