View Single Post
Old 10-23-2007, 08:32 PM

Default Re: uNL 1 year report card

most of this: tl;dr

I would like to make a short point about the advice here.
When I reged, I don't remember seeing this forum so I started in SSNL. I took a long break from 2p2 and a short one from poker. As I'm back now, I usually browse several forums (unl, ssnl, msnl, beginners, bbv, and once in a while I'll read hsnl).

Yes, the advice can be pretty terrible here, but we are all here to learn (ldo). As long as we are all trying to do that, this forum will only get better and better.

I'm getting better at giving good advice, but that is only from reading a LOT of it. I read stuff from Orange, Pokey, Jay, Grimm, Goofy, and anyone else who posts a lot in SSNL/MSNL and I look at their thoughts. I'm a different person than they are, so I'll have a different approach than they do. Even so, I still respect them a lot. There's no need to get into those stupid flame wars, with ANYONE. If someone is being a douche, tell a mod and play some poker (spend 5 minutes OFF of 2p2). The mods are there for a reason.

All that said, I think that about 60% of my current game has come from reading and posting (and getting flamed) here on 2p2. This place is awesome.

side note: I'll try to define good advice. Advice is someone's idea about WHY a hand should be played a certain way. If you read through some of the unl/ssnl replies, so many of them say "shove turn!!@1111!!! LDO!!!!1" Then the good ssnl posters and many msnl posters go on for two pages about their analysis of a hand/concept. I also remember reading an article in card player or the like where they staged a hand with three pros. Any idea how small that type is??? Their thoughts were 3-4 pages in this article.

side side note: unl questions are not just the .01/.02nl questions. they are beginner q's. They talk about flush draws and simple odds. ssnl questions are probably more theoryish than you might think (squeezing a good reg, etc) and have little to do with playing 1/2nl. Think of unl as high school for poker players. ssnl might be like college. MSNL is working on your master's degree. And HSNL, well, who the hell knows what they think about up there!

:-D