View Single Post
Old 10-23-2007, 08:14 PM

Default Re: 25-50 with a straddle

[ QUOTE ]
Strassa,

I am curious on why you didn't bet the turn. Judging from the pre-flop action, anything with a 10 that the hedge fund guy is re-raising with connects with that flop well enough for him to bet the flop (maybe except A10 and 910. But you have the other two nines so 109 is a harder combo for him to have).

When he chose to check-call that flop, his range screams more of AA/KK/smaller pocket pairs/suited connectors than QQ/JJ/any hand with a 10 and a face card. I think with a 10 and a facecard (and sets and straights), he would continue the pressure and bet that flop.

Or did you check behind the turn because irock1 check-called quickly the flop and you didn't know what he has and just checked behind on the river hoping to fill up (or play it as a bluff-catcher)?

FWIW, I don't like the turn check because whatever the river is, it's too hard to get any value out of his holdings. I could be wrong but please enlighten me [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think about this differently. If he holds KK or AA, then he is probably only calling one big potsized bet on this turn board. There is definitely a chance he has a straight. I think JJ checks this flop, he might have TJ, QJ, J8, whatever, I think there is definitely a non-zero chance he has a straight. If he CRs the turn after I bet, it can get really ugly. Plus if river blanks off I can get off a value bet easy. There are other variables obviously involved in this equation, but this is a pretty standard turn check from my perspective. If all the money goes in on the turn I'm in trouble. I want to see showdown. And its pretty unlikely it goes check bet call check bet call.... He will fold out AA or KK most of the time to that action--at least that is what I thought.

-Jason