View Single Post
Old 10-23-2007, 07:57 PM

Default 3 betting pre vs. raising the flop

So just something I've been thinking about/toying with at the tables.

Assume CO is your standard 25/21, with a wide opening range, and who folds to 3 bets pre around 60% of the time.
assume effective stacks of 100BB

Hero is dealt J [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]10 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

UTG folds, UTG+1 folds, MP folds, <font color="red">CO raises to $2, Hero raises to $6</font>

I think this is a fairly standard "3 bet light" situation.

Something I've been trying lately:

Again same assumtions as above

Hero is dealt J [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]10 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

UTG folds, UTG+1 folds, MP folds, <font color="red">CO raises to $2</font>, Hero call $2, SB folds, BB folds

Pot: ($4.05)
Flop: 3 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]5 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]9 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

<font color="red">CO bets $3.50, Hero raises to $11</font>

SO over a fairly smallish sample, this move seems to be more profitable for me than the standard "3 bet light" for the following reasons:

1. most tags "fold to 3 bet pre" is in the 55 - 65% range in my experience. Their fold when cbet is raised is usually closer %75, and even higher against players they view as solid.
2. You win a bigger pot.
3. It gives you a chance to stack them when you flop good and they actually have a big pair, or if they decide to play back and you actually have a big hand.
4. If one of the blinds tag along pre its not ideal but you still get to play a hand with alot of potential in position on the flop.

So these are some of the reasons I like this play. Tell me why you hate it/like it less than 3 betting pre.