View Single Post
Old 10-23-2007, 07:53 PM

Default Re: How do Americans view Europeans?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

I grew up in military family, am pro-life, believe in smaller government, morally conservative, from the South. married to a rancher's daughter. How can I not be a Republican

[/ QUOTE ]

What astonishes me is that people like yourself were duped into voting for Bush.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think many people don't understand that people vote for different reasons. Some people vote based on projected foreign policy actions/involvement. Some people vote on domestic political issues (social security, national health care). And some people, including many conservatives, vote on values (abortion, judge appointments, tolerance of religious freedom, gay marriage issues, etc).

It is the right of every single person to vote based on what is important to them.

While I might not agree with all of Bush's decisions in regards to foreign policy, I am definately a Republican in regards to domestic policy and social policy. Those are my beliefs. Why would I vote for a democrat who is going to advance many things I disagree with?

I don't think Bush might have been the best Republican choice just as many right now might not think Clinton or Obama are the best Democratic choices. But ultimately you vote for the candidate that will advance the issues that are most important to you personally. That's democracy.

You can disagree that moral/social issues are as important as foreign policy, but you can't really disagree with my right to vote based on the issues that are most important to me.

[/ QUOTE ]

also its the governments job to protect us from evil gay marriage.