Thread: a fun 97s hand
View Single Post
Old 10-23-2007, 07:37 PM

Default Re: a fun 97s hand

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
but one could argue that the pot is going to be large anyway. is the difference between a 12sb pot and an 18sb so large? does the extra 3bb really impact the postflop decision-making so much? we're drawing to two pair anyway. we're drawing to a gutshot anyway. what's the difference REALLY?

[/ QUOTE ]

There is no difference. I was just answering a question about Snowball's post.

Or you could say that the difference is winning 5 more SB when you make your hand and losing only 1 extra when you don't. And if you get to show down, your table image, like you said earlier.

That's probably not what you meant though, right? As far as pot odds, you're going to have them whether there's 12 or 18 sb in there.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think so. If you hit a gutshot you'll have the odds to peel one on the flop almost no matter what. This is not necessarily true on the turn.

The easiest example I can think of is if your gutshot has an out tainted by a 2-flush on the turn. This leaves you 3 outs. If we assume no one folded and each of the 5 players put in one additional bet, and the button (or whoever) bets again on the turn and everyone calls that means the pots look like this:

Smaller Pot: 13.5bb on the turn
Bigger Pot: 16.5bb on the turn

with 3 outs to a gutshot (14.3:1) we can call with our implied odds in either of these situations. If 1 or 2 players folded along the way, however, we can probably get away from our marginal draw in the smaller pot, but there's no chance of that in the bigger one.

[/ QUOTE ]

good points Hyper. but if the pot is laying me 13.5 with a gutshot i'm possibly calling 5 handed even with a 2 flush out. you're ignoring the % of the time that the other opponents aren't drawing to the flush, which would might sway the decision to a call. in addition, my implied odds could be adjusted slightly upward because of my position relative to the button and the ability to c/r or c/3b the field if i hit my draw.

more importantly, say there is a 2 flush out there. won't we will likely see multiple bets go in on the flop which would bloat it to the extreme that we can probably call the turn with our 3 outer anyway?